a-wave AAWCD019 (2015)
High tempo groove delight - the heart of their current live set - perfect blend of live dance floor energy with classy arrangements and Steve's unique guitar style. References many points of the musical compass visited by Steve and Miquette on the journey so far. New work with the Orb's Alex Paterson naturally conjour up thoughts of the very first System 7 album, but there are also Rovo reverberations and much more. The laid-back perfect symbiotic partner to this release is Mirror System's 'N-Port' CD. Also available is the pre-release mini album taster 'n+x'. The ambitious twin release of 'X-Port' and 'N-Port' also celebrates the 21st anniversary of the twin release of the Fire and Water albums. The packaging is an extremly elegant, enigmatic yet somehow familiar design using metal foil printing on a gatefold dig-pak with a 4 page booklet.
Their collaboration with Alex Paterson (The Orb) on 'The Queen' is an spacey alien Detroit inspired instrumental and dubbed-out ambient techno on 'Angelico Presto'. James Monro returns S7 to edgy terrain on 'Infinity Boulevard' alongside the crispy percussive tech funk of 'Chic Psychedelic (X-Port Version)'. Flanked by the potent and raw 'The Colour of Love (X-Port version)', a throbbing 7 minute epic, and the techno tour de force 'Love for the Phoenix (X-Port Version)' (loosely based on the classic System 7 track 'Habibi' from the first System 7 album) which is their collaboration with Rovo, fusing chants, live violin and guitar over thumping beats. '5 Beat' picks up the pace with its charged techno beats, metallic groove and early house feeling aided by a bouncy tech bassline, segued guitar 'n' snarly synth lines. 'Stovepipe' stands out for its relentless unravelling beats epic that ignite and reconnects in hypnotic rhythm. 'Opal Flash', which includes a blistering Steve guitar solo, and System 7's remix of Rovo's 'Batis' showcase the side of System 7 that finds big success at major trance festivals such as Ozora and Boom.
Track 4, 'The Queen', and track 8, 'Angelico' are collaborations with Alex Paterson. Track 5, 'Love For The Phoenix (X-Port Version)' is a collaboration with Rovo re-worked from the original version on 'Phoenix Rising' by Rovo and System 7. Track 6, 'Infinity Boulevard', is a collaboration with James Monro. Track 11 is System 7's remix of 'Batis' by Rovo.
- Hinotori Call Sign [0.54] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- Hinotori Chic Psychedelic (X-Port version) [7.53] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- The Colour of Love (X-Port version) [7.41] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- The Queen [6.35] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy, Alex Paterson -
- Love For The Phoenix (X-Port Version) [9.02] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- Infinity Boulevard [6.54] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy, James Monro -
- 5 Beat [7.51] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- Angelico Presto [6.40] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy, Alex Paterson -
- Opal Flash [4.39] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- Stovepipe [7.45] Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy -
- Rovo - Batis (System 7 Remix) [6.39] Yuji Katsui -
- Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy