The Electrick Gypsy Service "Unzipping the zype" and a tight, bright, ripe for re-enjoyment, remastered and with two bonus tracks. A certain double whammy, 'Studio Herald' -
guaranteed to expand your awareness and a sparkly, re-mastered version of a lovely and focused album. Jewel case, stickered with small promo label on the back. 16 page illustrated booklet with liner notes with loads of input from Steve himself.
When 'Open' was moved to CD in 1990 the studio side of 'Live Herald' double album was placed in front of the actual 'Open' tracks (a decision based in part on when they were chronologically recorded), and the 'Open' tracks were re-ordered by Steve to make a more musical flow to the entire release. This system has been kept in place on this remastered version.
The bonus tracks are a very different 1974 'Power Trio' backing track of 'Don't Dither Do It', which was labelled 'Dither Blues' on the original 1/4-inch reel box, and rather surprisingly, an alternative mix of part of a track from the ambient 'Rainbow Dome Music', which appears here rather than the re-mastered RDM CD. Perhaps Steve didn't feel it appropriate to mess with that ambient classic by adding any bonus material. Both bonus tracks are previously unreleased.
"Unzipping the zype can be defined as - the spontaneous inner exorcism by which a person can neutralise the harmful, consciousness-distorting effects of the artificial elemental spirits (zypes) formed around each word of everyday language."
"The zypes are built up by the identification process by which we manufacture 'reality'. Occultists refer to them as 'astral glamour', yogis as 'the web of Maya' - but no word is zype proof, the even zype. Cherish this phrase - it's a royal flush!"
- Talking to the Sun Hillage/Giraudy
- 1988 Aktivator Hillage/Giraudy
- New Age Synthesis (Unzipping the Zype) Hillage - Giraudy/Anderson/McKenzie
- Healing Feeling Hillage/Giraudy
Open (original tracks)
- Earthrise Hillage adaption of Arabic music by Oum Kalthoum
- Open Hillage/Giraudy/Francis
- Definite Activity Hillage/Giraudy/Francis/Anderson/Stewart
- Getting Better Lennon/McCartney
- Day After Day Hillage/Giraudy/Stewart
- Getting In Tune Steve Hillage
- Don't Dither Do It Steve Hillage
- The Fire Inside Hillage/Giraudy
- Don't Dither Do It (1974 'Power Trio' backing track) Steve Hillage
- Four Ever Rainbow - (Part 3 Alternative Mix) Steve Hillage
- John McKenzie bass, triangle
- Andy Anderson drums, percussion
- Miquette Giraudy synthesizer, sequencer
- Steve Hillage guitar synthesizer, glissando guitar, lead guitar, vocals
- Steve Hillage guitar, vocals, sequencer, vocoder, moog solo on 'Earthrise'
- Andy Anderson drums, percussion, gong, vocoder
- Dave Stewart slide guitar, vocals, second Moog solo on 'The Fire Inside'
- Miquette Giraudy synthesizers, vocals, vocoder
- Paul Francis bass
- Jean Philippe Rykiel Prophet synthesizer, first Moog solo 'The Fire Inside'
- Mike Howlett bass (Open extras)
- Pierre Moerlen drums (Open extras)